UC Davis Small Grains Field Day May 15
Small Grains Field Day May 15, Davis
Meet at UC Foundation Seed warehouse on Hutchison Road west of Highway 113.
8 a.m. Registration (Coffee and donuts)
8:15 a.m. – Noon: Small Grains Field Day
Welcome and Introductions
• Issues for California Wheat, Pest and Disease Resistance Needs – Janice Cooper. California Wheat Commission
• New UC wheat varieties, FSP increases, wheat research– Jorge Dubcovsky, UCD wheat breeder
Departure to filed tour
• Promising UCD Lines for Future Common Wheat and Durum Wheat Variety Releases – Oswaldo Chicaiza, and Alicia del Blanco Wheat Breeders
• Genetic Studies for New Traits – Mapping new stripe rust resistance genes PhD student Nicolas Cobo
• Discovering genes for drought tolerance Tyson Howell and Eligio Bossolini
• Using barley to identify resistance genes to wheat stripe rust PhD Student Josh Hegarty
• Pyramiding mutations to enhance resistant starch PhD student Brittany Howell
• Engineering flowering time PhD student Rebecca Nitcher
• Barley and Oats Breeding Programs – Lynn Gallagher and Alicia del Blanco
• Collaborators Quality Program –Phil Mayo
• Dedication of the new Small Grain Combine
• Statewide Germplasm Development and Evaluation – Wheat & Triticale, Durum, and Barley – Phil Mayo, Wheat and Barley Regional Testing Program Coordinator. With participation of breeders from private breeding companies.
Noon: BBQ Lunch
Many Thanks to CCIA for their sponsorship.
Following the Small Grains presentation will be the Alfalfa Field Day, beginning at 12:45 p.m.
See: http://alfalfa.ucdavis.edu for a printable program.