Tom Deardorff, president of Deardorff Family Farms, Oxnard, Calif., is the newly elected 20011-2012 board chairman of the Western Growers Association.
Deardorff was elected by the board of directors during Western Growers’ 85th annual meeting in Maui, Hawaii.
He heads an executive committee including: Senior Vice-Chair Michael Jarrard, Salinas, Calif.; Vice-Chair Stephen Barnard, Oxnard, Calif.; Treasurer John Manfre, Moss Landing, Calif.;Executive Secretary Ryan Talley, Arroyo Grande, Calif.; Immediate Past-ChairmanRobby Barkley,Yuma, Ariz.; and former Chairman Kevin Andrews, Bakersfield, Calif.
Deardorff represents the fourth generation of the Deardorff family to serveon the Western Growers board.
Deardorff Family Farms began as a packer-shipper in Los Angeles and then moved to Oxnard, as urbanization squeezed Los Angeles County out of the growing business in the early 1960s.Today, the company is a grower, packer, and shipper of conventional and organic celery, tomatoes, strawberries, and mixed lettuce.
Elected directors and associates to the 2011-2012 board include:
- District 1 (all Arizona except Yuma County):Will Rousseau;
- District 2 (Yuma County): Robert Barkley and Gary Pasquinelli;
- District 4 (Imperial County and Blythe): Lawrence Cox and Howard Elmore;
- District 5 (Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego counties) Patrick Horwath;
- District 6 (Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo): George Adams, Craig Reade, Ryan Talley, and Mark Teixeira;
- District 7 (Northern San Joaquin and Northern Calif.): Stephen Danna Jr. and Stephen Smith;
- District 8 (Ventura County): Stephen Barnard and Thomas Deardorff II;
- District 9 (Kern County): Kevin Andrew, Edwin Camp, Catherine Fanucchi, Kevin Pascoe, and Donald Valpredo;
- District 10 (Watsonville, Gilroy, Hollister, Santa Cruz): Joseph Aiello and John Manfre;
- District 11 (Monterey County): Bardin Bengard, John D’Arrigo, Sammy Duda, David Gill, Michael Jarrard, Tom Nunes, Jr., and Bruce Taylor;
- District 12 (east San Joaquin Valley): Loren Booth, Carol Chandler, Fred LoBue, and Rick Stacey;
- District 13 (Riverside and San Bernardino): Mark Nickerson and John Powell, Jr.; and
- District 14 (west San Joaquin Valley):Stephen Patricio and Mark Perez.
- Associate directors are Frank Maconachy andJoseph Rodriguez.
- Directors-at-large from California include:Steve Church,John Harris, Joe MacIlvaine, Harold McClarty,and Garland Reiter. Vic Smith is the director-at-large for Arizona.