From Rootstock to Bottle: Conserving water throughout the winemaking process, will be held Dec. 1, 2011, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., at Yountville Community Hall.
The free public workshop, designed for vineyard and winery staff, is sponsored by the county of Napa, in collaboration with other groups. Topics that will be covered include groundwater hydrology, water conservation in the vineyard and the winery,the vineyard Conditional Waiver & TMDL, and the changing climate.
3.5 CE units will be applied for through DPR.
- 8:15 a.m. Coffee & Pastries
- 8:30 Groundwater in California Alluvial Valleys
Dr. Thomas Harter, UC Cooperative Extension, Groundwater Hydrologist
- 9:15 Napa County Groundwater Update
Phil Miller, Napa County
- 9:30 Precision Vineyard Water Management using Advanced Plant and Soil Moisture Monitoring Tools
Dr. Mark Greenspan, Advanced Viticulture, Inc.
- 10:15 Break
- 10:30 Rootstocks for a Dry Climate
Dr. Andy Walker, UC Davis
- 11:15 Conditional Waiver & TMDL Update
David Lewis, UC Cooperative Extension - Moderator
Leigh Sharp, Napa County Resource Conservation District
Sandia Potter, San Francisco Regional Water Quality Control Board
Jim Lincoln, Beckstoffer Vineyards & Napa Farm Bureau
Laurel Marcus, California Land Stewardship Institute
- 12:30 p.m. Lunch (provided)
- 1:15 Napa Valley Climate Change Study
Chris Howell, Cain Vineyard & Winery and Rex Stults, Napa Valley Vintners
- 2:00 Water Conservation and Reuse of Winery Water at UC Davis
Dr. Anita Oberholster, UC Cooperative Extension, Specialist in Enology
- 2:45 Saving Water, Saving Energy
Bill Bennett, Sustainable Napa County
The workshop is free and includes lunch. Questions? Please contact Deborah Elliott at (707) 259-5969 or email@example.com. Please RSVP to Deborah Elliott at (707) 259-5969 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Information also available at http://ucanr.org/waterconservation.