Nitrate in groundwater workshop May 3, Parlier
Informative Workshop on UC Davis SBX2 1 Nitrate in Groundwater Study Findings
University of California–Davis/University of California Cooperative Extension–Tulare Lake Basin
UC Davis released its independent study of nitrate in groundwater for the Tulare Lake Basin and Salinas Valley in March 2012, as required underSBX2 1. A public workshop will be held in Parlier, Calif., to present the study results to local stakeholders in Fresno, Tulare, Kings, and Kern Counties.
- May 3, 2012: 2 p.m. to 4:30 PM
- University of California
- Kearney Agricultural Center
- 9240 S. Riverbend Ave., Parlier, CA 93648
Free Event/No Registration Required/Free Parking
This recently released study may have very significant impacts on future fertilizer practice and regulations in the San Joaquin Valley.
Background and Workshop Goals
UC Davis, under contract with the State Water Board, conducted an independent investigation and reported on the findings and potential solutions for nitrate in groundwater and drinking water in the Tulare Lake Basin and Salinas Valley.
The UC Davis Report examines sources of nitrate contamination, impacts and costs, as well as promising funding and policy options. This workshop will provide an overview of the study’s findings. A panel will reflect on the problem of groundwater nitrate, safe drinking water, promising solutions, and how this report might contribute to constructive policy discussions in defining the issues and promising directions. This workshop, hosted by the University of California, provides an opportunity to hear about the study and its findings and to also hear local perspectives on the study results.
- UC Davis SBX2 1 Study and Findings
- Panel Discussion
- Question and Answer Session
Purpose of Workshop
- Find out about the UC Davis SBX2 1 study
- Discuss findings and implications
- Engage with study authors
- A State Water Board workshop on May 23 in Sacramento will receive official public comment on the study and SBX2 1.
- Information about the UC Davis Study can be found at http://groundwaternitrate.ucdavis.edu/
- Information on the BX2 1 Salinas Valley/Tulare Lake Basin Nitrate Pilot Studies can be found at www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/nitrate_project/index.shtml