There is no cure for pallidosis-related decline of strawberry disease, yet best management practices (BMPs) exist to reduce the severity of the disease.
The BMPs include:
- Utilize good agricultural practices, including regular monitoring, communication, and collaboration between growers and PCAs, to limit the spread of the vector and the pathogens.
- Use clean transplants;
- Rotate chemical insecticides with different modes of action for vector control;
- Alternate with botanical or biopesticides;
- Conserve natural enemies;
- Timely control of pest infestations especially in upwind fields;
- Timely diagnosis of the pest and disease; and a
- Host-free period to break the disease transmission.
Source: Surendra Dara, University of California Cooperative Extension farm advisor, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties.