- Jan DeLyser, California Avocado Commission vice president of marketing was presented the “Produce Marketer of the Year” award. DeLyser has been responsible for the overall leadership, management and organization of CAC’s marketing functions since 2003.
On Sunday, Oct. 16 at the PMA Fresh Summit Convention’s keynote breakfast in Atlanta, Ga., Jan DeLyser, California Avocado Commission vice president of marketing was presented the “Produce Marketer of the Year” award. Greg Johnson, editor of Vance Publishing’s The Packer newspaper, presented the award, crediting DeLyser with being “the consummate marketer; an incredible thinker; subtle, but very effective; the ultimate consensus builder and the face of the avocado industry.”
DeLyser has been responsible for the overall leadership, management and organization of CAC’s marketing functions since 2003. In 2007, under her leadership, CAC unveiled a new, integrated California avocado marketing campaign that leveraged the authenticity of real California avocado growers, helping consumers to associate “a face and a place” with the fruit. The campaign was heralded as being in the forefront of industry marketing communications. In subsequent years she has spearheaded continual marketing innovations that have kept CAC on the leading edge, including award-winning advertising, retail and foodservice programs, public relations activities with artisan chefs, outreach to food bloggers and strong engagement with social media.
Prior to joining the Commission, DeLyser spent 22 years in various facets of the produce industry including trade publications, trade association management, marketing for an international agricultural company and sales for a produce distributor. This broad-reaching experience helped her to understand industry perspectives from many different angles.
DeLyser also is active in industry leadership and serves as Chair-elect of the Produce Marketing Association. She also serves on PMA’s Foundation for Industry Talent Board of Directors. She is a past chairperson of both the Produce for Better Health Foundation Board of Trustees and the Fresh Produce and Floral Council and has served on the United Fresh Produce Association’s Board of Directors, Produce Marketing Association’s Retail Board as well as the Buy California Marketing Agreement Board of Directors.
Jan DeLyser Awards and Honors
- Produce Marketer of the Year, Vance Publications 2011
- Recognized in “Women Who Make a Difference”, The Shelby Report, 2010
- Recognized as one of the Top Women in Grocery, Progressive Grocer, 2007
- Women in Produce Award of Excellence, United Fresh Produce Association, 2007
- Recognized as one of 25 top produce industry leaders, The Packer, 2006
- Southern California Leadership Award, The Fresh Produce and Floral Council, 2003