An all-day organic production workshop will be held Oct. 28, in Goodyear, Ariz., at Estrella Mountain Community College.
• 8:30 a.m. – Organic Farming Experience – Organic farmer speaker to be announced
• 9:00 – Organic production survey – Steve Mannheimer, director, National Agricultural Statistics Service Arizona Field Office
• 9:10 – Organic Certification and Integrated Pest Management – Rex Dufour, manager, National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT), Davis, Calif.
• 9:50 – Soil Microbiology in Relation to Plant Growth and Health – Dr. Robert Linderman, former ARS Research Scientist, plant pathologist, founder-owner of Plant Health Comp., Corvallis, Ore.
• 10:50 – Break
• 11:00 – Weed Control in Organic Production and Cover Crops – Ron Odin, research scientist, Colorado State University and Extension Soil Specialist Organic/Sustainable Agriculture
• Noon – Bio-fungicides as Effective Tools to Manage Vegetable Diseases in Arizona – Mike Matheron, research scientist-Extension plant pathologist, University of Arizona
• 12:30 – Lunch break
• 1:10 – Marketing Considerations with Organic Production – Dr. Russell Tronstad, professor and Extension economist, Ag & Resource Economics, University of Arizona
• 1:50 – NRCS Assistance for Organic Production and Compost Utilization – Mohammed Zerkoune, soil conservation worker
• 2:10 – Hosting Organic Farming Field Day – Organic farmer to be announced
• 3:30 – Adjourn
The workshop will be held in the Estrella College’s Planning and Development Room, 3000 North Dysart Road, Avondale, Ariz., 85392. Follow the signs to the room.
The sponsors include the Aqua Fria Natural Resources Conservation District, Estrella Mountain Community College, and the University of Arizona.
To register, call (623) 535-5055, ext. 120 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.