- The land-grabbers. The roadkill ghoul. Wear your computer. Superlettuce. Wine without the work. The donkey rebellion. Corn, not glass. Tastes like chicken?
1. The Honey Launderers: Peeling back the layers on the largest food fraud in U.S. history. (Businessweek)
2. Wear Your Computer: Wearable computers are primed to make steep inroads into farming. (SEFP)
3. Glass Gem Corn is All the Rage: Those aren’t colored glass beads — they’re specially bred ears of corn and demand is exploding. (Daily Mail)
4. Tastes Like Chicken? How one company created a lab meat that has the texture of real flesh. (Wired)
5. Wine Without Work: A home overlooking fields of lush vineyards, with a cellar full of coveted bottles. Less appealing: actually owning and maintaining a winery. (Wall Street Journal)
Got an interesting or odd ag story I've missed? Please send links or email me at email@example.com.
6. The Roadkill Ghoul: Arthur Boyt relishes roadkill. He boils badgers, loves Labrador, and eats weeks-old carrion. He loves his roadkill — wayyyy too much. (Spiegel)
7. The Donkey Rebellion: Egyptian farmer arrested after marching his donkey around town with the army chief’s name on it. (Washington Post)
8. Superlettuce: Plant lettuce in the desert? No prob. (Modern Farmer)
9. The Land-grabbers: Coke, Pepsi, farmland, Oxfam, and the poor. Claims and counterclaims are flying. (The Independent)
10. Corn Woes: Goss’s wilt has swept across the Corn Belt, cutting some farmers’ corn yields in half, and it is still spreading. (New York Times)
Follow me on Twitter: @CBennett71
From the "10" archives