- The Department of Water Resources (DWR) has activated the California Statewide Groundwater Elevation Monitoring (CASGEM) program online submittal system for agencies to notify DWR of their intent to become a monitoring entity.
The Department of Water Resources (DWR) has activated the California Statewide Groundwater Elevation Monitoring (CASGEM) program online submittal system for agencies to notify DWR of their intent to become a monitoring entity.
Jan. 1, 2011 is the deadline for prospective monitoring entities to notify DWR of their intent as specified in the California Water Code, Section 10928. In early 2011, the system will be expanded to allow monitoring entities and cooperating agencies to submit monitoring plans, groundwater elevation data, and other information.
Enacted in 2009 with the passage of Senate Bill X7 6, CASGEM establishes a basis for collaboration between local monitoring parties and DWR to collect groundwater elevation information statewide and make that information available to the public. The legislation does not call for mandatory groundwater regulation. It is a voluntary program.
The system includes a help file to assist users with the notification process. The online submittal system can be accessed through the CASGEM website:
DWR has also finalized the following documents for implementation of the CASGEM Program:
• CASGEM Procedures for Monitoring Entity Reporting, December 2010
• DWR Groundwater Elevation Monitoring Guidelines, December 2010
Those documents, as well as a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document, are available at http://www.water.ca.gov/groundwater/casgem.
A Web mailing list has been created to provide subscribers with periodic email messages notifying them of important news and announcements related to CASGEM, updates to the website, and availability of documents released on the website.
To subscribe to the CASGEM mailing list, visit: http://water.ca.gov/groundwater/casgem/register
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Mary Scruggs at (916) 654-1324, or any of the following contacts in the DWR Region Offices:
• Northern Region Office, Kelly Staton, (530) 529-7344
• North Central Region Office, Chris Bonds, (916) 376-9657
• South Central Region Office, Dane Mathis, (559) 230-3354
• Southern Region Office, Tim Ross, (818) 500-1645 x278