What is in this article?:
- UC Davis sets summer wine course schedule
- Wine grapes
- UC Davis Extension offers a variety of courses for novice and experienced grape growers, winemakers and wine lovers. The following wine courses will take place June-September 2012 in Davis, unless otherwise indicated.
Winegrapes: Identification and Use
Receive an introduction to about 40 white and red winegrape varieties, and learn how to identify them by their leaves, clusters and berries. Study the origin, history and production aspects of each variety as well as grapevine improvement.
• Aug. 14-15: Tues.-Wed., 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
• $395. Includes course materials and two box lunches. Enroll in section 121VIT219.
Color, Tannin and Phenolics Analysis
Compare different spectrophotometric methods and wet chemical methods for measuring phenolic of different types during this hands-on lab session. Lectures on wine phenolics and lab techniques alternate with lab work to help you achieve a basic understanding of what each analysis measures and how to conduct these procedures.
• Aug. 9: Thurs., 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
• $210. Includes course materials and box lunch. Enroll in section 121VIT221.
Introduction to Wine Analysis
Examine the basics of wine analysis for commercial wine production. Designed for professional winemakers and winery lab employees, this class combines short lecture with hands-on experience. Work in small groups, with university wines, to gain familiarity with common lab analyses.
Choose from two sections:
• June 16: Sat., 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
• $255. Includes lab supplies. Enroll in section 121VIT224.
• Aug. 25: Sat., 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
• $255. Includes lab supplies. Enroll in section 121VIT225.
Winery Accounting and Finance for Executives
Designed for winery principals, executives and accounting staff, this course covers winery financial reporting, winery accounting, inventory costing, business valuation and taxation.
• July 20: Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
• St. Helena, Calif.: Wine Business Center, 899 Adams St.
• $225. Includes course materials and box lunch. Enroll in section 121VIT214.
21st Annual OIV Wine Marketing Program
Learn the fundamentals of producing and marketing grapes and wine in the United States. From brand establishment to distribution and sales, gain practical, hands-on knowledge for navigating the U.S. wine market. Presenters include winemakers, distributors, regulators and educators from the University of California. This program is part of the MBA curriculum of the Organisation Internationale de La Vigne et du Vin (OIV). It is presented by UC Davis Extension and the UC Davis Department of Viticulture. For more information, including a brochure with a detailed agenda, visit our website.