What is in this article?:
- UC Davis Extension announces summer wine courses
- White, red wine
- UC Davis Extension offers a variety of courses for novice and experienced grape growers, winemakers and wine lovers. The following courses will take place June-September 2011 in Davis, unless otherwise indicated.
UC Davis Extension offers a variety of courses for novice and experienced grape growers, winemakers and wine lovers. The following courses will take place June-September 2011 in Davis, unless otherwise indicated.
Online Introduction to Wine and Winemaking
Whether you're interested in a career in the wine industry or are just a devoted enophile, you can take this unique, self-paced course at home, at your convenience. Utilizing an interactive, web-based educational environment, become acquainted with the history of wine, the international wine industry, wine and health issues, and the fundamental processes involved in winemaking.
* July 5-Sept. 12. No enrollments will be accepted after June 30.
* $685. Enroll in section 111VID251.
Small Vineyard Series: Integrated Pest Management, Cover Crops and Erosion Control
Build your knowledge of several key areas of small vineyard management in this one-day course, part of a series of classes on small-scale viticulture designed for home and small commercial winegrowers. Explore the important diseases and insect pests of grapevines, with special attention to those problems most likely encountered by small producers, and discuss fall activities in the vineyard.
* July 30: Sat., 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* $175. Includes course materials and box lunch. Enroll in section 111VIT213.
Introduction to Wine Analysis for Professional Winemakers and Winery Lab Workers
Examine the basics of wine analysis for commercial wine production. Designed for professional winemakers and winery lab employees, this one-day class combines short lecture and hands-on experience.
* Aug. 13: Sat., 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
* $255. Includes lab supplies. Enroll in section 111VIT222.
Rootstock Workshop: Identification and Use
Learn about the identification and use of the 20 most important rootstocks in California in this workshop designed for the viticulturist, nursery employee, grape grower and winemaker.
* Aug. 15: Mon., 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
* $210. Includes course materials and box lunch. Enroll in section 111VIT219.
Winegrapes: Identification and Use
Receive an introduction to about 40 white and red winegrape varieties in this workshop designed for the viticulturist, nursery employee, grape grower and winemaker.
* Aug. 16-17: Tues.-Wed., 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
* $395. Includes course materials and two box lunches. Enroll in section 111VIT220.
Successful Home Winemaking
Receive an overview of all phases of home wine production in this course designed for beginning home winemakers with little or no experience. This is an excellent overview for anyone considering making wine for the first time this season.
* Sept. 10: Sat., 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
* $140. Includes course material. Please bring a sack lunch. Enroll in section 111VIT212.
Step by Step Winemaking
Learn winemaking by actually producing wine at Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science Winery. This hands-on class is designed to give novice home and small scale winemakers experience before the varietal harvest in September and October.
* Sept. 10-11: Sat., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. & Sun., 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
* $375. Enroll in section 111VIT218.
Introduction to Sensory Evaluation of Wine
Novice enophiles, enhance your critical tasting ability and learn basic aspects of sensory evaluation often overlooked in most wine tastings. Study the different components of wine appearance, aroma and flavor.
* June 4-5: Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* $550. Includes two lunches and all wine. Enroll in section 111VIT215.