What is in this article?:
- 10 agriculture stories you should read today, Nov. 11
- Death by Buck, Women in the Woods
- Mystery of the cow tunnels. Wages of crop insurance fraud. Death by buck. Taking the goat cure. A deadly, drunken horse race. Broccoli’s extreme makeover. Asses and wild dogs. Women in the woods. And more.
1. Mystery of the Lost Cow Tunnels
NYC’s meat tunnels are lost, forgotten, or just a myth? Heck of a great mystery. (Gizmodo)
2. The Wages of Crop Insurance Fraud
A farmer is headed to the pen for six years after a running a million-dollar crop insurance scam — and threatening to kill the investigating agent. (WRAL)
3. Drunken Day of the Dead Horse Race
First the riders sacrifice a chicken to bless the path they’ll race on, and vow to abstain from sex. Then they spend the entire night drinking beer and a potent Guatemalan liquor made from sugar cane called Quetzalteca. (Vice)
4. Broccoli’s Extreme Makeover
Can the produce industry succeed by stealing the junk food playbook? (NYT)
5. Changing of the Wine Guard
The international wine industry is shifting, and the old world is falling from the top perch. (The Telegraph)
Got an interesting or odd ag story I've missed? Please send links or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.