Small grain and alfalfa field days will be held on May 21, at the University of California, Davis, Agronomy/Plant Sciences Field Facility located just outside of Davis, Calif.
• Small Grains Field Day
8:30 a.m. to Noon – Field Tour at 9:30
Topics will include:
• California 2009 small grain production;
• Foundation Seed production program and statistics
• California Crop Improvement Association (CCIA) organic certification program
• Issues for California wheat
• Introducing new genetic diversity
• New UC wheat varieties; Genetic studies for new traits
• Screening nursery for Septoria Tritici Blotch
• Screening program for disease resistance – wheat and barley stripe rust
• Statewide germplasm development
• Evaluation on wheat and triticale, durum, and barley.
Noon: Barbeque Lunch – Courtesy of CCIA
• Alfalfa, Forage Field Day
12:45 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The program includes a California Alfalfa Forage Association update by Executive Director Aaron Kiess, and discussion on the Irrigated Alfalfa Production Manual by Dan Putnam, Extension agronomist, UC Davis.
Other topics include: • Choosing Alfalfa Varieties for Yield and Pest Management – Dan Putnam
• Coping with a Stem Nematode Outbreak – Becky Westerdahl, CE Specialist, UC Davis
• Stewardship of Roundup Ready Alfalfa – Killing RR Alfalfa in Rotation and Preventing Weed Resistance – Steve Orloff, Farm Advisor, Siskiyou County
• Stewardship of Roundup Ready Alfalfa – Gene Flow in Alfalfa Hay – Is it Important? – Larry Teuber, Professor, UC Davis
• Teff as a Summer Annual Forage for Horses or Dairies – Don Miller, Cal West Seeds, and Dan Putnam
• Intercropping Ideas with Sudangrass, Switchgrass, and Alfalfa – Dan Putnam
• Field Testing of Switchgrass and other Cellulosic Biofuels, What are the Options? – Dan Putnam
• Alfalfa Weed Control Strategies & Weed Identification – Tom Lanini, CE Weed Ecologist
• Strategies for Alfalfa in a Low Water Year – Steve Orloff, Dan Putnam, and Blaine Hanson
PCA-CCA credits will be provided.
The Agronomy/Plant Sciences Field Facility is located on Hutchison Road, just outside of Davis. Take 113 North from I80 (or south from Woodland), and Hutchison Road. Exit and go west one-half mile. The field headquarters is on left in the group of trees.