What is in this article?:
- Extreme hay market instability needs attention
- Good response to CAFA survey
- Effort to make major changes to dairy policies and curb market instability should be addressed by Congress.
- Hay is in 10th place in California’s top 10 ag products, with milk sitting at No. 1 by a wide margin.
- Alfalfa under constant attack by environmentalists; branded as a water-wasting, low value crop.
Good response to CAFA survey
The CAFA survey that was mailed in late August has brought a good return in September. Since the survey was mailed at a busy time of the year, the final tally will be done in mid- to late November. Therefore, there’s plenty of time to mail in the survey for those who haven’t yet done so. The survey will be compiled according to CAFA’s four regions — intermountain, north central, south central and desert region. A preliminary look at the surveys that have been returned so far shows a strong response for working on standardized hay testing. It’s a topic that CAFA has evaluated before and ways to tackle the issue were discussed at the last board meeting. Thanks to everyone who has returned their survey.